Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thursday Thirteen #18


Thirteen Organizational Tricks That Make My Life Easier

1. Every Saturday I wash, dry, iron and put together five outfits, including socks, for Amber to wear to school the next week. This makes mornings much less chaotic.

2. I cook twice as much as I need for a meal and store the extra in the fridge for another meal later in the week. Double pasta, potatoes, browned hamburger, beans, etc.

3. I have a storage bin that holds all of the kids' sports uniforms and supplies. Uniforms are washed, dried and placed in the bin immediately after they are worn. That way there is no last minute search for a basketball jersey or soccer shin guards.

4. I have an "arts and crafts" cabinet that I keep stocked with poster board, paints, markers, stencils, empty shoe boxes, fabric scraps, etc. Whenever one of the kids announces that they have just remembered that they have a project due tomorrow, I am prepared. There is a "homework drawer" right beneath this cabinet. It contains paper, pens,pencils,glue,scissors, a dictionary, whatever the kids may need to complete their home work.

5. I have multiple spray bottles of both vinegar/water and wintergreen alcohol/water solutions. I keep these scattered throughout the house. I am much more likely to wipe down those bathroom fixtures or sliding glass door if my supplies are right there.

6. I buy toys/books on clearance and keep a few in different age ranges to give as presents when the kids are invited to birthday parties. Also try to keep a gift card lying around just in case I don't have another appropriate gift.

7. I keep a variety of greeting cards on hand for the same purpose.

8. In the Jeep is a backpack filled with a soccer Mom's emergency supplies...extra shin guards, hair scrunchies, bandaids, snacks, Kleenex, wet wipes, extra clothes, sun screen, bug repellant, etc.

9. School lunches are packed at night and are stored in the fridge until the next morning.

10. I make my bed before I leave my room each morning. Such a quick and simple chore, and one that can make all the difference in how that room looks if it's left undone, but it's just too easy it blow it off once I have left the room.

11. Crock pot meals several times per week. We are an extremely busy family and if it weren't for the crock pot my poor kids would be eating hot dogs and fish sticks way too often.

12. A pencil/pen cup on my desk. Such a simple solution to an annoying problem. Haven't wasted a single moment searching for something to write with since I placed that cute mini flower pot on my desk and filled it with writing utensils.

13. I chop, slice and dice the majority of my fresh veggies when I buy them. I'm much more likely to use them in a meal if the prep work is already done.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dd hasn't allowed me to put outfits together for her since she was in first grade. She comes up with some wild stuff sometimes, but I've learned not to argue.

Thorne said...

I love 4 and 5! (I need to do 5). I do a lot of my food prep like you do, too.
Happy TT!
I'm up at both Thornesworld
and with my very first TT at my new blog, Eclectic Witch!
I hope you'll stop by!

Anonymous said...

Great post!! I love anything that makes life easier!!!!

Janeta said...

Great ideas and organization Gale Real time managers too!
God Bless,
Janeta

Lynda said...

I used to do a lot of these tips when my daughter (now 20) was younger.
I still cook more food and freeze it ;0)

cdayzee said...

You are the awesome!!

Where did you find the wintergreen alcohol - or is it something you made?

Unknown said...

You are seriously way more organized than me. I want to be, really I do... lol
Happy T13!

Mia Celeste said...

I try to cook double meals too amd I have an "arts and crafts" cabinet, but I could really try some of your other tips. Thanks for sharing.

Open Grove Claudia said...

How wonderful that you take the time to make your life more livable! That's impressive!

marcia@joyismygoal said...

wow good for you:)

kandyblossom said...

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Alice...Amber picks out which outfits she wants to get ready for the week. She has OCD issues and is very picky about what goes together.

ris...it's in the same area as regular rubbing alcohol. I get it at Wal Mart, Walgreens, K Mart, just wherever I happen to be.

My expressions LIVE said...

Wow your organized...come organize my life!

The Bumbles said...

I'm a big fan of organization myself. But I have never been able to shop for presents year-round - I can only seem to do it when I know the occassion/recipient.