Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thursday Thirteen #13



Thirteen Fond Food Memories from my Childhood

1. Grandma Smith's potato salad. No clue how she made it, but it was the best potato salad ever.

2. Mama Smith's boiled custard. I remember a huge pot of it sitting in her refrigerator every year for Thanksgiving.

3. My great aunt Alta's strawberry cake with strawberry glaze icing. Yum!

4. My great great aunt Ola's homemade banana pudding. My favorite dessert ever.

5. My mother's rabbit hash served over homemade biscuits.

6. Homemade apple butter. Lots of people made it and I liked it all. My Grandma's was the best though.

7. Pork brains and scrambled eggs. This was only served at my great grandmother's house and it was a big treat for me.

8. Snow ice cream. Haven't had it since I was a child. Haven't lived anywhere that provides me with the main ingredient since I was a child.

9. Pizza burgers. About the only school lunch I can recall liking. Secret ingredient was Spam. How gross is that?

10. Cream cheese sandwiches. Carried to school in a brown paper sack. At the time I thought they were the best lunch imaginable.

11. Government cheese. On macaroni and cheese. On grilled cheese sandwiches. On EVERYTHING. That stuff was GOOD!

12. Poke greens. Seasoned with bacon grease. Yum! Nothing like a big plate of toxic weeds on a spring day. LOL. Really, they were very, very good and I am still alive so my mother must have boiled out all the bad stuff.

13. The annual orange birthday cake topped with lots of orange frosting. And those yucky candy decorations you can buy at the grocery store. We loved them and thought they were great.

http://thursday-13.com/

6 comments:

Mia Celeste said...

I remember the pizza burgers. Grin. Happy TT!

Darla said...

So many things I've tried to recreate from childhood memories, and they never turn out quite right. And even when they do, my kids look at me like I'm nuts. Honest--my mom's macaroni and cheese was the best--but my kids prefer it from a box. *rolling my eyes*

I'm wondering what food memories my own kids will have.

Heather said...

Mmm...pizza burgers. I haven't had one of those in ages (minus the spam, of course). The orange cake sounds good as well!

http://wordtrix.blogspot.com/

The Bumbles said...

Great Grandma's Pound Cake - and I cherish the recipe - even though I know the yumminess comes from her secret ingredients - like love.

Unknown said...

You have some lovely memories. I remember my Grandma making me and my sister a Rootbeer Float every Sunday when we visited after church. Yummmy! Happy T13!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to try each of these. Except the strawberries. I'm allergic.