Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thursday Thirteen



One of my goals for this year is to try and lower our shopping costs, including food, clothing, personal products, paper goods, etc. I do not have the time, nor the motivation, to spend hours searching every ad for every store and driving to a hundred different places to save a few cents, nor will I buy tons of products we don't normally use, simply because I may have a coupon for it. But, I will take a few minutes to peruse the ads for the three places close to me, where I normally shop, before I make my menu for the week, and I will make more of an effort to actually use coupons instead of forgetting them. The ability to load coupons onto a store rewards card makes this process easier. Anyway, here is a list of 13 different savings I had recently.

1. Philadelphia cream cheese for .99 per 8 oz package, plus there was a coupon for $2.00 off when you buy three, making the cost for 3 packs .97 total.

2. Turkey for .50 per lb. Bought an almost 14 lb turkey for less than $7.00. This provided 3 dinners (roasted turkey dinner, turkey pot pie, turkey and dumplings) and 2 lunches (sandwiches) for my family of 8.

  3. Large green bell peppers for .39 each. Stuffed peppers for dinner. Some for the freezer. And the guinea pig got lots to eat. He loves peppers.

4. Avocados for .29 each. The rest of my family couldn't understand my excitement over this deal. They would gladly pay at least that much for someone to remove all of the avocados from the house, but I LOVE them, especially on a turkey sandwich.

5. Pillsbury Chocolate Peppermint Chip Ready to Bake Christmas cookies for .25 per package of a dozen cookies. Bought the last 5 packages in the case. Not everyone in the house is a peppermint fan, and I prefer made from scartch, but it was too good a deal to pass up. A couple of family members will enjoy them.

6. Buy 3 boxes of cereal, $7.50, and get a 24 pack of water free. Plus I had a .50 coupon for the cereal, which the store doubled. Two boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios, one box of Lucky Charms, and a 24 pack of waters for $6.50.

7. A pair of pink jeans for Jaz, regular $17.99, on sale for $9.50.

8. A black lace skirt for Amber, regular $24.99, on clearance for $7.00.

9. A pair of black boots for Jaz, regular $57.88, on clearance for $14.87.

10. Little Caesar's Hot and Ready large pizzas, $3.99 Monday special. Can't beat it for lunch when this old Grandma is too exhausted to feed the munchkins.

11. Nature's Own Honey Wheat bread, $1.00 per loaf.

12. Breakfast sausage, $1.00 for a one pound package, when you buy 10 packages.

13. Buy 2 bottles grapefruit juice, $4.00, and get a 5 lb bag of grapefruit free. My husband and 15 y/o daughter love grapefruit.

8 comments:

I am Harriet said...

I'd be all over those avocados too!

http://harrietandfriends.com/2013/01/1-fiscal-cliff/

Kimberly Menozzi said...

You have made some prudent purchases, haven't you! Wow! I need to get more accustomed to buying with coupons. I sure could use the extra cash...

Happy TT!

Mia Celeste said...

Oh, good for you. Saving money is always a goal of mine.

http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2013/01/contests-thumbs-up-or-thumbs-down.html

Shelley Munro said...

Good for you. I'd be snapping up avocados at 29c too.

Pearl said...

those are really cheap. avocado's often hovering around $2 each here.

we make our own pizza now. flour, water, yeast and salt and leave it mixed overnight. roll it out. couldn't be cheaper.

Alice Audrey said...

You managed to come up with some great deals. And three packages of cream cheese is just right for cheesecake.

CountryDew said...

I need to do better with coupon clipping. Sometimes I do but have a hard time sticking with it. Thanks for visiting my blog.

sandyland said...

I go everytime there is buy one get one and a former student saves coupons coupon clubs are great which camopuflages do you need help with Sandy next weeks will be a breeze